Wednesday, July 5, 2017

A Liv and Maddie Love Letter

I never thought I'd get so upset with Disney that I'd take a break from classic Disney Channel shows. But with the cancellation of Girl Meets World, I needed some space to heal for the first time. I loved that show, and I felt it was prematurely cancelled. But time heals, in this case, and after catching bits and pieces of Liv and Maddie, I saw the entire series was on Netflix and have been steadily watching it while folding laundry. Then I got so caught up in it, I started watching it when I was just wanting to chill and watch something. The more I saw, the more I liked, then loved, the show. Here are my top 5 reasons why I'm officially a Liv and Maddie fan.

1. The portrayal of familial relationships is great. While each parent has their weakness, overall they're great parents. They listen without prying too hard, and own up to their prying when they do. They're involved, but also let their kids solve their own problems. The siblings seek each other out for advice, but also give each other a hard time. The parents collaborate and show each other respect and are always there for each other. I love seeing positive relationship portrayals in youth television; it's important to show realistic, healthy relationships. Their family isn't perfect, but it's great, and attainable.


2. They take a more realistic view on things. Sometimes you get hurt at the wrong time. Sometimes long distance relationships don't work out. Sometimes you like your best friend's guy, and then once they break up he's still out of reach because he's your bestie's ex. The right thing isn't always the easy thing, and I seriously respect the show for demonstrating that. They allow the characters to not get everything they want, and to make poor choices and learn from them. There are, of course, unbelievable things that happen (the Parker tunnels, anyone?), but overall, there's a healthy dose of reality not often seen in kids/tween/teen television.


3. Real world issues pop up all the time. When it's pointed out to Liv that reporters don't ask her deep questions about her roles like they do her male costar, she (and guest star Kristen Bell- say what?!) addresses it. When women are ranked by nasty high school boys, the girls react. They don't show the sunny side. They show how societal expectations can affect even  the most level-headed girls (oh, Willow.) When their mini-protest doesn't change the boy's actions, they realize they can't control what people think and say about them, but they can spread the word that objectifying women is wrong.

4. Confession: I love the music. Dove Cameron has some pipes, and she knows how to use them. The songs get stuck in my head all the time. It's not a musical show, but having a main characters that's a singer/actress allows for the occasional song.

5. This little Disney channel show is so empowering. Not only do they teach people of all ages (I know I'm not the target demographic, but their messages totally get me in the feels) that they can make an impact, but they show them how. When Maddie learns an acquaintance is homeless, she takes action. She teams up with someone to build a tiny house out of recycled materials, contacts the city about where it can be, and learns how to apply for grants to make more. If a teenager can tackle homelessness, why aren't we adults? I love that they're showing that every single person can make a difference, if they'll just try.

So, yeah, I'm obsessed with this show. I've only get a few episodes left in the series, because it ended last spring after four seasons. But the entire series is now on Netflix, so you can binge to your heart's content. There are plenty of grown-up laughs to be had, and you're sure to love it.

Are you also a Liv and Maddie fan? What are some of your favorite moments?

No comments:

Post a Comment