5. Making snow! In the two weeks following baby A's birth, it got bitterly cold. I mean, -35 cold. It was insane. But if you throw a pot of boiling water in the air in -35 weather, it turns to snow. So we made snow!
4. Seeing a baby polar bear play in the snow at the Alaska Zoo. While J's mom was helping us with baby A, a baby polar bear was orphaned and living at the Alaska Zoo until a permanent home could be found for him. It was amazing to get to share that experience.
3. Seeing my family meet my son. My Grams, who has been battling cancer, passed away just a few days after meeting him. Both my mom and J's mom were able to come up to Alaska to meet him, which is when we made some of my favorite memories.
2. Seeing my son grow and learn. In the last eleven months, he's gone from a helpless infant to a walking, babbling, dancing fountain of joy. It's amazing. We were so lucky to be able to both witness his first steps, his first words (dada and mama) and to simply be his parents. He's amazing.
1. Of course, this is a given. My favorite moment of 2013 is when I got to first hold my son. His arrival may have been traumatic, but he was worth it. He's forever altered my life and taught me so much already.
The worst moments are obviously a downer. For these, there is no countdown. After finally getting through all the first holidays and birthdays without my dad, I had to go through them again, but this time without my Grams and my beloved friend and canine companion, Charlie. I'm so glad A got to spend three months with Charlie and meet my Grams, but going forward without them is so difficult. Baby A's first birthday is just around the corner, and I wish he would be able to remember them.
Baby A has given me such joy and so many things to look forward to. I can't wait to see what discoveries and adventures 2014 will bring us. Wht were your favorite moments of 2013? What are you most looking forward to in 2014?
Happy New Year!