Friday, July 28, 2017

Raven's Home: Pilot Review

During the Disney Channel reign of the early 2000's, there were so many good shows. The Suite Life of Zach and Cody, Hannah Montana, Phineas and Ferb, and Wizards of Waverly Place, to name a few. Competition was high, and I'll admit I missed the That's So Raven train. I caught an episode here and there, but I wasn't a dedicated viewer. However, when I heard it was getting a revival, a la Boy Meets World/Girl Meets World, I was intrigued.

Since I wasn't an original viewer, I can't compare the current reboot to the original. But while watching the pilot, I was reminded of the old episodes. Also, Disney Channel has put the original That's So Raven episodes on the Disney Channel App (I've got it on Apple TV, so I plan on catching up a decade late!).
Image result for raven's home


Overall, I enjoyed the reboot. There isn't a lot of backstory as to why Raven isn't married anymore, though we do get a snapshot of Chelsea's situation. We don't meet the mysterious ex-husband/kid's father, though his texts show us that he sees the kids daily when driving them to school.

Disney is doing so much right these days. Despite a rocky relationship with her felonious ex, Chelsea doesn't speak poorly of him in front of their son. She and her son have an interesting, slightly inverted relationship, but it works. She still has her ditzy moments, but it's clear she loves her son.

I love that Chelsea and Raven are still close, and that their friendship hasn't waned. Their roommates at the moment, because financial situations required it, as their marriages dissolved in a similar timeframe. It's important to show kids that adults can maintain relationships, especially through difficult circumstances. It's also refreshing to see that although moments can be hard, like sharing a bathroom, the kids all come together to support one another too. They stick up for one another and are there for each other, even when they're in an argument. I love that this show is teaching kids that not every disagreement is an overdramatic, end-all, life-ruining thing. Even if you're mad at someone, you can still protect them and take care of them.

Raven's Home focuses more on the kid's relationships and issues than the adult's, especially as one twin discovers their physic power-while the other twin has not. I'm excited to see where the show is headed, and if the other twin will also discover powers. I'd love to see Raven's twins work together to solve situations that arise from the one's visions.

I loved how Mia's 'sheroes' (she-heroes) were strong women of all colors and walks of life. It was great that Raven struggled with parenting decisions, like if she was inadvertently giving one twin more affection than the other. The serious moments were tempered with humorous ones, so the show had a great flow.

Have you seen Disney's latest reboot? What were your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment