Monday, November 27, 2017

Coco Review

Pixar's newest film, Coco, released last Wednesday. It was SPECTACULAR.



Olaf's Frozen Adventure was the short film that plays before the movie. I was thrilled to see all my favorite characters return, including Elsa, Anna, Olaf, Kristoff, and Sven. This short had more songs than Frozen Fever, the short that aired before the live action Cinderella. The characters showed growth as they struggled to recall traditions from before their parents' death, and reconcile their expectations with their reality. It was really well done, and I loved revisiting Arendelle. I'm super excited for the Frozen sequel release in 2019.

When I first heard of Coco's theme, Dia de los Muertos, I was disappointed. I loved that Pixar was expanding and telling stories from other cultures, but I was saddened it would be a few years before I could share this one with my boys. At four and two years old, they're not old enough for this film. I was skeptical they would be, and after viewing it without them, I know I was right. The way death and family is portrayed is beautiful and wonderfully done, but my kids just wouldn't understand it at this age. In a few years, when they can see beyond the skeletal visualization of each character, they'll love it. In the meantime, I'm a huge fan!

Coco expertly navigated themes of death, remembrance, and the importance of family with a gentle hand and a broad understanding. It provided a deeper insight, at least for me, of Dia de los Muertos. It was, of course, visually stunning. The characters were flawed and complex, including the protagonist, Miguel. We see and understand where he's coming from, and I spent a good part of the film wondering how he could reconcile what he loves with his family's expectations.

There were many good messages in this film, ranging from respecting your family's traditions, to being open minded, to seeking to understand where the opposing side is coming from. Remembrance played a huge role, emphasizing remembering loved ones and passing their stories along.

I'm not going to lie; I cried several times. Then again, it's Pixar so I fully expect to get teary at least once. They often tackle deep subjects and explain them to minds of all ages.Many themes hit me hard personally, as many beloved members of my family are no longer with us. Seeing grief portrayed, and how those on the other side feel as well, was both comforting and a little heartbreaking.

Coco took me on an incredible journey, through the land of the dead and the traditions of Dia de los Muertos. I'm looking forward to the day when my kiddos are ready to see it, so I can share it with them.

Have you seen Pixar's latest hit yet? What did you think of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment