Sunday, February 8, 2015

Disney Lullabies

The first night we had our first son home from the hospital, I realized quickly that I knew very few standard lullabies. I relied instead on what I know best: Disney. I still sing him Disney lullabies, and I thought I'd share some of my favorites with videos in their original Disney glory (no, I won't sing to you. I'm sorry, you're great and that's why I won't sing to you. I wouldn't wish my singing on my worst enemy. But my kid likes it, so he gets to hear it.) I've included ones I sing as well as ones I'd like to sing, if only I could learn all the words (here's looking at you, Dumbo).

Cinderella: A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes

Dumbo: Baby Mine

Sleeping Beauty: Once Upon a Dream

The Little Mermaid: Part of Your World (and reprise)



The Lion King: Can You Feel the Love Tonight

Aladdin: A Whole New World

Beauty and the Beast: Belle's adventure song, and Tale as Old as Time




Pocahontas: Just Around the River Bend, Colors of the Wind, If I Never Knew You





Tangled: At Last I See the Light


I'd sing a song from Frozen, but then he'd dance in excitement instead of going to sleep. Since the point of lullabies is to lull the baby to sleep, it's out.

Confession: I'm not always 100% faithful to Disney. Three of my top lullabies aren't from Disney movies. I know, I know. I'm ashamed, but I can't stop. They're catchy and they help A drift off to sleep, so sing them I must.

All Dogs Go to Heaven: Home to My Heart

Anastasia: Once Upon a December

An American Tale: Somewhere Out There


There's one more that I sing that I wrote myself, when I couldn't remember the real words. It goes like this:

Lullaby, and goodnight
Go to sleep little (insert baby's name)
The hour is late
The time is nye
So close your eyes.
Close your eyes, little bear.
Momma loves you so.
Close your eyes, little bear.
I won't let you go.
Lullaby, and goodnight,
Go to sleep little baby.

What songs do you like to sing to get your babies to sleep? I'd love to hear in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment