Sunday, March 16, 2014

Let it Go: The Disney Way

Unless you've been hiding under a rock, you've probably heard the hit sweeping the nation: Let it Go, from Disney's most recent animated feature, Frozen. From covers to parodies, this song has taken over the internet. Idina Menzel, the voice of Elsa and Broadway legend, sang it at the Oscars and on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon. It. Is. Everywhere. Here's the original, if you've somehow missed it:


Although it's a great song, I think part of its widespread takeover is due to social media being at its peak. Right now between Facebook, twitter, Pinterest, and YouTube, and all of the other stratospheres of the internet, anyone can share their version of it, anywhere. Weatherman version? Check. Mom version? Check. People who are tired of it? Check. Every niche can take a stab at it, post it, and go viral. It has spread like a wildfire, reaching higher and farther than any Disney anthem has before. Which begs me to ask...

What if other Disney movies had this opportunity? What if The Lion King had been released during this social media frenzy? What song from each of Disney's animated features would be the meteoric hit like Let it Go?

To answer that question, I've rewritten the song with one line from each of Disney's 53 animated films (except for Fantasia, Black Cauldron, The Rescuers Down Under, Fantasia 2000, & Dinosaur which have no songs with lyrics). You'll see the movie title next to the song line, but sing the song in your mind (or out loud, if that's your thing) to the tune of Let it Go. I'd film myself singing it, but something that terrible would most likely break the internet and end civilization as we know it.

(Snow White) One day my prince will come,
(Pinocchio) Makes no difference who you are,
(Dumbo) Never to part, baby of mine
(Bambi) What can compare with your beautiful sound?

(Saludos Amigos) A new day's waiting to start,
(Three Caballeros) We have the stars to guide us,
(Make Mine Music) A perfect dream set to a theme as lovely as you,
(Fun and Fancy Free) You're the hero of my most favorite dream.

(Melody Time) We'll remember once upon a wintertime,
(Ichabod and Mr. Toad) We have no time to stall,
(Cinderella) So this is the miracle I've been dreaming of,
(Alice in Wonderland) I keep wishing it would be that way.

(Peter Pan) Gleaming in the skies above,
(Lady and the Tramp) Side by side with your loved one,
(Sleeping Beauty) Once upon a dream,
(101 Dalmatians) in this new location,
(Sword in the Stone) You must set your sights upon the heights.

(The Jungle Book) Trust in me, just in me
(The Aristocats) 'Cause everything else is obsolete.
(Robin Hood) Once we watched a lazy world go by,
(Adventures of Winnie the Pooh) I'm just floating around over the ground,
(The Rescuers) Til your hopes and your wishes comes true.

(The Fox and the Hound) Goodbye may seem forever.
(The Great Mouse Detective) We know by now that time knows how to fly,
(Oliver and Company) Why does nightfall find you feeling so alone?

(The Little Mermaid) No time will be better 
(Beauty and the Beast) Certain as the sun rising in the East
(Aladdin) Shining, shimmering, splendid
(The Lion King) The world for once in perfect harmony
(Pocahontas) But I know every rock and treat and creature has a life, has a spirit, has a name.

(Hunchback of Notre Dame) Living in the sun,
(Hercules) I would go most anywhere to find where I belong,
(Mulan) Somehow I cannot hide who I am, though I've tried.

(Tarzan) You'll be in my heart,
(The Emperor's New Groove) In the quiet time of evening,
(Atlantis) Where the dream takes you,
(Lilo and Stitch) Like a river flows surely to the sea
(Treasure Planet) This place I never thought would feel like home,
(Brother Bear) Tell everybody I'm on my way.

(Home on the Range) Will the sun ever shine again?
(Chicken Little) We both bruise so easily.
(Meet the Robinsons) The hardest part is over.

(Bolt) There is no home like the one you've got,
(The Princess and the Frog) And I'm almost there.
(Tangled) It's like the sky is new,
(Winnie the Pooh) Well I could be the blossom,
(Wreck it Ralph) When can I see you again?
(Frozen) Let it go!

It's interesting to see how Disney's messages have ebbed and flowed from the more upbeat to the more downtrodden as society has done the same. What do you think of Frozen's anthem? Are you a fan, or have you grown weary of its persistence?

No comments:

Post a Comment